A librarian’s job can be vary greatly. They do not only deal with books but their duties also include other administrative and technical tasks. According to statistics, the employment rate for librarians is expected to increase above the average for all employment at the end of 2018.
A lot of people, especially those who are interested to enter the field, would want to know - how much does a librarian earn?
- A librarian’s salary depends on several factors such as type and size of employer, where they work and their years of experience.
- According to the American Library Association (ALA), the salary of librarians can vary greatly from $22,000 up to $331,200 a year which is dependent on several factors that influence its variation.
- The mean salary of librarians in the United States reaches around $53,251 a year, having an hourly rate of $25.82.
- Librarians working for the federal government, particularly those in managerial, supervisory and non-supervisory jobs have the highest paid positions. Their salaries can reach up to $84,796 as of 2009.
- Years of experience also influenced the salary of librarians. Those who are on the entry-phase of the industry can earn a minimum of $16,693 and as high as $44,826 a year. After 10 years of expertise, librarians can expect that the latter figures can increase up to 20% to 30 %.
- The location may also influence the salary of librarians. Those working in big cities were cost of living is high, receives wages that are much higher than librarians working in rural areas.
- Special media specialists earn as much as $75,420. School librarians have the same salary with most school teachers, where they could earn as much as $68,046 a year. Public librarians receive an average salary which is lesser than those of the other areas of librarianship.
The retirement of a majority of librarians for the next few years will open new positions for aspiring librarians. The salaries of librarians vary differently. If you wish to be a librarian, it is best to choose where, what and who will you work for to achieve your goal income.
- What Are The Requirements To Become A Librarian?
- How Long Does It Take To Become A Librarian?
- How To Become A Librarian
Leave a Reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are markedAdd Comment