Investment bankers have numerous responsibilities in a company. They can be in charge of the finance department, be asked to supervise interns or to monitor and check the work of analysts. Investment bankers also travel a lot.
Every move of an investment banker involves huge sums of money. The same reason why not everyone is built to be in the industry. To become an investment banker, one should be skilled, a self-starter, open minded and knows how to assess businesses. Exceptional talent with numbers and math in general is also necessary.
Maybe now you’re wondering if what an investment banker does. Here’s an overview.
1. Investment bankers have 2 main duties: to produce funds and finding venture capital. Producing funds can be done by selling stocks from their companies to other companies, or individuals. Finding capital means that an investment banker researches for businesses, mostly those that are just starting, and offers them financial support in exchange for shared ownership.
2. When choosing businesses to provide capital to, the investment banker is responsible for assessing possible risks. They also construct business plans that will limit or avoid further financial loss for both parties.
3. Investment bankers also work as financial advisers. If a company for example, is planning to file for bankruptcy in the next year, an investment banker can take this opportunity to give advice and offer options to the company. A common outcome for this move is to make the investment group partial owner.
4. They are also required to monitor and study the economy and global market. Any change in the trend is significant for investment groups and banks.
5. Be updated and knowledgeable about changes in government policies that may affect the investment industry.
6. Investment bankers are expected to travel a lot for meeting clients, deal presentations for prospective clients and even to fly just for a meal to strengthen business connections.
An investment banker spends about 90 work hours in a week plus the traveling. The schedule might be too much for others but for them, that is the reality. If you want to pursue this profession, prepare yourself for the challenges, the pressure and the work schedule.
Leave a Reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are markedAdd Comment