You might be interested to become a cake decorator for a living. Being a cake decorator is a lucrative job. But to be successful in this career, you must possess the skills. How will you be able to gain and enhance your skills? Let’s take a look at several options.
What are the requirements to be a cake decorator?
There is no definite requirement that one must comply in order to become a cake decorator. But in order to gain knowledge, you can enroll in training programs intended for cake decorators.
- First, you must complete a high school diploma or its equivalent. Most programs will be requiring such before admission.
- Several community colleges, culinary schools and institutes offer programs in cake decorating, or baking and pastry arts.
- Complete any of the said training programs that usually include courses in cake decorating techniques, icing application and a lot more.
- After obtaining the necessary education you must complete on-the-job training.
- Most colleges offer apprenticeship as a part of their program. It is also best that you complete a sanitation course that will serve as additional credentials. You may choose a program that incorporates both hands-on training and sanitation course as a part of the program.
- You can also complete training through apprenticeship which are sponsored by culinary schools, government agencies or professional organizations.
- Being certified is generally voluntary. You may choose not to be certified. But similar to other professions, being certified will add to your credentials which will provide greater job opportunities.
- The Retail Bakers of America (RBA) is an institution that offers certification. Pass their one-day exam and you will be granted with a Certified Cake Decorator designation.
Advanced Education and Training
- You must also acquire advanced training or education; this will help you to keep up with the latest techniques in baking and decorating.
Since there is no mandatory requirement, you will then be free to choose which among the above-mentioned you will take in order to start your career as a cake decorator. But take into consideration the limited positions available versus a number of people who also wanted to get their foot on the profession. Be the best and acquire as much credentials as you can, this will definitely help you to land a stable job and be paid along the way.
- How Much Does A Cake Decorator Make?
- How Long Does It Take To Be A Cake Decorator?
- How To Become A Cake Decorator
Leave a Reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are markedAdd Comment