Knowing what you get yourself into is the first step to protecting yourself. When choosing your profession, you should know if you have the necessary requirements to become qualified. This leads us to point out what you should need to qualify as a flight attendant.
What are the Requirements to Become a Flight Attendant?
Flight attendants should at least be 18-21 years old. Although most airline companies in the US prefer more mature employees with a few years training. One must also be a US citizen or a legal resident of the country. You would also need a valid passport before applying to any airline job. You cannot be permitted to travel anywhere without it.
When applying as a flight attendant you should have a clean background. Free from any serious criminal charge, or any type of misdemeanor.
Personality is very important as a flight attendant. You have to be approachable, patient and willing to listen to any type of passenger concern. So, what are the other things that you need? Read on.
- Flight attendants should have a pleasing personality. Both men and women should have a blemish-free face and skin.
- Airlines have different sets of requirements but the average height requirement is at least 5’3” to 5’9” or 6’2” at the most. This requirement is to make sure that they are able to perform duties like reaching into the overhead cabins in the aircraft without any problem.
- You should be physically fit with no underlying conditions, or illnesses that can prevent you from performing your duties as an airline staff.
- Must be neat and know how to dress appropriately. Since you will be dealing with customers on a face-to-face basis most of the time, you should look presentable with kept hair for women and a clean cut for men. Outrageous makeup and extra-styled haircuts are to be avoided.
- Most airline companies do not allow flight attendants to have visible tattoos or piercings. For women, only a pair of earrings is acceptable and none for men.
- At least hold a high school diploma or a GED
- Associate/ Bachelor’s degree in flight stewarding, aircraft maintenance or any course that includes flight attendant training.
- Further trainings on safety and emergency procedures, first aid and medical response procedures, security process and checking.
- Get certified through the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and the Transportation Security Administration.
- Customer Service. This is the most important skill that should be present in every airline attendant. Experience in other fields like contact centers wherein you are required to be in contact with customers can be a huge help.
- Leadership and delegation. Flight attendants act as role models while inside the aircraft. They are the people who you can approach for any concern during the entire flight period. They are also responsible of reminding the passengers of the rules while inside the aircraft.
Leave a Reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are markedAdd Comment