The beauty and personal care industries are the kind of businesses that do not suffer economic crisis. In spite of global financial problems, it has become innate for people to have themselves groomed, pampered and to always want to look their best.
Nowadays, both men and women, make it a habit to visit the salon for a haircut at least every 3 weeks. So you can just imagine how much that will cost you for an entire year? Thanks to you, the income of your personal hairstylist is just as stable as your routine visits. This leads us to the question of how much does a hairstylist make in a month. Let’s see.
How much does a hair stylist make?
According to the BLS, the average salary of a hairstylist is from $18,000 to $22,000 a year while part-time stylists earn $11 per hour. Their income depends on three major factors.
- Experience. If you are an entry-level employee, the average salary is $10.94 per hour and $22,760 annually. After a few years of work, you can apply for a higher position and earn more. Hair salon managers earn an average of $26,000 a year.
- Location. Like any other business, your work location is very important. And a hairstylist income can vary greatly depending on where he or she is working. For example, if you work in Hawaii or Washington D.C., then you can expect big earnings. Both states have the highest recorded salary for hairstylists in 2010 ranging from $40,000-$43,000 a month.
- Salon Type. Naturally, if you work for uptown-based salons, you would earn higher income compared to those who work in low-end salons. Hairstylists working in metropolitan areas can earn as much as $43,000 a year. While small time hairstylists can earn an average of $8 per hour or $16,000 a year.
Another major source of income for hairstylists is through commissions. If a hairstylist has a stable client base, he or she can expect higher pay. Hairstylists earn commissions through the services they offer, if they bring in new customers and if they are able to pitch and sell hair products to clients.
- Bonuses can range from a hundred dollars to at least $1,000 a year
- Commissions can range from $300 to as much as $10,000 a year
There is also a high percentage of professional hairstylists that work independently. They take up about 45% of the total population. Most of them operate their own businesses, while some may rent a space within a salon. For these hairstylists, BLS recorded that they earn about $23,000 to $56,000 a year.
- How Long Does It Take To Be A Hair Stylist?
- How Much Does An Investment Banker Make?
- How To Become A Hairstylist
- How Much Does A Music Producer Make?
Leave a Reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are markedAdd Comment