How can you start your way on becoming a mailman? Just like applying in other jobs, necessary requirements and certain qualifications must be complied to be an eligible applicant.
What are the requirements to be a mailman?
- Minimum age of an applicant must be 18 years old. Any applicant must be over 18 years of age at the time of application. But because of the high demand, more and more people are interested to be in this line of profession. The average age of a newly hired mail man is now over 30 years of age.
- Same as when applying for other government agencies, all male applicants must also be registered in the Selective Service.
- Citizenship. Only U.S. citizens are eligible to work as mail carriers. Those who have been granted permanent resident-alien status are also considered to be qualified applicants. Documents and proof of citizenship must be presented when applying for job openings.
- Good reading and comprehension skills. Clients trust that their letters would be handled and delivered properly. Some documents are of great value and contain legal papers, mailmen should make sure that all letters are delivered to right people and right locations in the soonest time possible.
- Good interaction skills. The nature of this job requires dealing with clients on a daily basis and delivering mails at their doorsteps. Communication skills must be properly used especially with clients with language barriers.
- Valid driver’s license and a clean record. It is likely that that you will use a delivery truck if you go on your way to become a mailman. Defensive driving is expected. You will undergo a driving test once you are hired.
- Applicants must also be physically fit. Working as a mailman means that you will have to carry heavy mail bags weighing as much as 70 pounds. You must consider your capabilities if you will be able to meet physical challenges that come in your daily routines. Client also expect that mails will be delivered as soon as possible, mail carriers should be ready to face extreme conditions to meet those expectations.
- Pass the 473 exam. This examination evaluates thinking abilities and memorization capabilities of applicants.
- Register for the exam and check on available testing schedules at local post offices.
- Access practice questions online and study available materials from bookstores and libraries.
- Applicants need at least 70% rating to pass the examination. The scores will be the basis on who will be hired first when job openings occur. It is important to get a high score to have better chances.
- If you are not satisfied with you score, you can retake the exam.
- Be patient. Applicants who scored the highest will be the first ones to get hired. It may take a while for you to be hired.
- Further physical examinations and drug tests will be conducted. For those applying in a job that requires driving, they will be asked to take the postal service road test.
There you have it. These are the basic requirements and qualifications needed in order to become a mailman. They may be difficult to comply but it is a good motivation to know that all the efforts will be rewarded by the great benefits once you get hired later on.
Leave a Reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are markedAdd Comment