Strong competition is always present in applying for jobs and looking for a job as a zookeeper is not different. The better qualified you are and the earlier you comply with the requirements, the more likely you are to get a job over other applicants. There is no definite time table when you can expect to get hired as a zookeeper. There are different possibilities on how to get into zoo keeping as your career.
How long does it take to be a zookeeper?
- Education is not really a requirement to become a zookeeper. High school graduates with no other degrees are allowed to apply.
If you are still studying in high school and you would like to be a zookeeper after graduation, it’s a good idea to focus more on science subjects. Research and readings can also help increase you knowledge about animal behavior and animal psychology. During summer, you can also volunteer at zoos or other animal shelters to gain experience.
- Experience is perhaps the main basis for employment. You can volunteer your services at local zoos, pet shops, veterinary clinics, and animal shelters. It is advisable to get at least 1 year experience to have a good feel of how to do things as a zookeeper.
- If you want to finish a college degree, it could take as long as 4 years. Courses in animal science are required for you to be better equipped on your chosen career. You can also gain experience while studying the course in order to save time. You can organize you schedule to get the chance to work in zoos or other animal related trainings.
- You can also access training offered by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums to develop your skills and gain additional knowledge.
Remember, hundreds of aspirants apply for jobs at zoos. You have to gain every bit of advantage you have over them to get the desired position. It is better to apply at several zoos in order to increase your chances to be hired at the soonest possible time.
- What Are The Requirements To Be A Zookeeper?
- How To Become A Zookeeper
- How Much Does A Zookeeper Make?
Leave a Reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are markedAdd Comment