So, you just finished high school and haven’t decided what you want to do next. You have realized that one of the things that you love to do is bake. Why not try pursuing a culinary career? For the past few years, the industry has continued to become more stable and lucrative.
For a start, you should be passionate about baking. If you are not confident with your experience, enroll or train in a culinary school to improve. To learn how to bake is a continuous process. You get to learn a lot of other things during the process. Experience is the best teacher.
Now, if you want to become a pastry chef, the next thing you want to know is how are you going to become one? And how long?
How long does it take to become a pastry chef?
If you are a high school graduate or hold a GED, you are qualified to work your way to become a pastry chef.
- Look for any pastry and baking school within your area. Make sure that the school is accredited with the American Culinary Federation (ACF).
- Courses range from 10 months to a year for certificate level and 2 years for an associate degree in Pastry Arts.
- Baking and pastry courses include a 3-4 months internship with local restaurants, cafes, bakeries and luxury hotels. This is the time when you can show your baking skills and impress your mentors. Learn as much as you can, and don’t be afraid to ask for help if you need it.
- Before you can take the first certification exam to become a “Certified Pastry Culinarian” (CPC), the ACF requires that you have at least 2 years working experience in the pastry department. The exam consists of both written and practical parts.
When you want to become a pastry chef, there is no age requirement. You do not have to rush in getting a degree and seek a job right away. You can choose to spend a few years learning on your own, or pursue higher courses in baking and pastry. In the culinary industry, it’s never about the age. It’s always about having the combination of training, skill, and creativity.
- What Are The Requirements To Become A Pastry Chef?
- How To Become A Pastry Chef
- What Does A Pastry Chef Do?
- How Long Does It Take To Be A Cake Decorator?
- How To Become A Cake Decorator
Leave a Reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are markedAdd Comment