The Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates a high growth rate of 37% for athletic training jobs between 2008 and 2018. This is considered to be higher than other growth rates. If you are unemployed and if you want to check whether you can qualify as an athletic trainer, here are the details:
What are the requirements to be an athletic trainer?
- Good communication skills. Since you will be around people every day, it is an advantage to possess good socialization skills. You may become a part of the ream, camaraderie and respect must be developed among members.
- Critical thinking skills may prove to be useful in times of emergency situations. You must think clearly and make right decisions during stressful situations. Anxiety can be transmitted; athletic trainers must remain calm in when emergency situations occur.
- A four-year bachelor’s degree is required. Make sure that you study courses accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education (CAATE). A good degree may include lessons in:
- Human Anatomy and Physiology
- Athletic training program administration
- Therapeutic modalities
- As of the present, over 70% of all certified athletic trainers have their master’s degree according to National Athletic Trainers’ Associations (NATA). Higher level of education can be helpful in effectiveness and efficiency of work. This might also lead to higher salaries depending on employer’s discretion.
- License and certification must be obtained by passing the Board of Certification exam. This is conducted to ensure that aspirants have necessary skills and knowledge to deal with a very demanding career. It includes: injury prevention, recognition and immediate care for injured persons, and rehabilitation processes.
- Only California, West Virginia, Florida, and District of Columbia do not require certifications for athletic trainers.
- Re-certification must be done every 3 years.
The following are required to be re-certified:
- Emergency Cardiac Care knowledge and training is required.
- 75 Continuing Education Units (CEU) must be complied.
- Fees are paid annually.
- Standards of Professional Practice must be adhered.
- How Long Does It Take To Be An Athletic Trainer?
- How Much Does An Athletic Trainer Make?
- How To Become An Athletic Trainer
- What Are The Requirements To Be A Dog Trainer?
- What Does A Dog Trainer Do?
Leave a Reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are markedAdd Comment