It’s fascinating how more and more people show a growing interest in photography. The idea that expensive cameras were only used by professional photographers is not applicable at the present. Photography is an art and it gives people the chance to express themselves. One area of photography given much attention lately is fashion photography. A lot of people desire to be fashion models and do a pose in front of the camera; on the other end, others dream to capture the perfect angle and produce good images. Do you prefer to be behind the camera rather than to be in front of it? Read on and discover ways to become a fashion photographer.
How to become a fashion photographer
1 Learn basic facts about photography.
Although formal lessons are not required, courses and workshops in the field of photography can be used as stepping stones to go into the business.
- The length of photography courses may vary between a few weeks and 4 years. These courses may include photography techniques, digital technology, lighting, composition, editing styles, and must-know details about cameras.
- Some community and junior colleges offer associate degrees in photography. Academic programs in fashion photography are also available at colleges and universities.
- Aside from schools and online courses, aspiring photographers can also learn from magazines and some internet sites. Numerous articles and videos regarding photography are available online. Fashion magazines and books are also good references to get good ideas of techniques and photography styles utilized by well renowned photographers.
- Learn new fashion trends and art. Fashion is always evolving; photographers must be updated with new trends to produce good quality and appealing photos.
2 Invest in high quality cameras and tools.
High quality cameras, numerous lenses, and a high performance computer can help you produce good outputs. It is good to invest in these gadgets because they will be needed in fashion photography projects in the long run.
3 Gain much needed experience.
There is no substitute for proven hands-on experience to improve one’s abilities.
- It is necessary to develop your skills and photography styles that can help you create a great portfolio. This portfolio will serve as your resume in applying for work later on.
- Experience, as they say, is the best teacher. Grab every opportunity to practice; you may start by using family and friends as models. Apply your skills and use your chances to experiment. Creativity and endless imagination can take you places in this line of work. Criticize your work and look for areas in which you can improve on. Suggestions can also be gathered from friends and colleagues.
- Always be open-minded: never limit your opportunities to learn and remember that there is always room for improvement. Strive to be the best that you can be to have an edge over other fashion photographers.
- Fashion photography studios or fashion related publications can be good venues for internships.
- Enhance your editing skills. With rapid advancements in technology, digital imaging can be improved to produce better photo qualities. Computer literacy and expertise must be enriched because they are necessary in fashion photography.
4 Create an excellent portfolio.
A portfolio is a collection of an artist’s best work. Fashion photographers must keep mind that clients have their own set of standards.
- Constant practice is essential for continued progress in the line of fashion photography. Good quality pictures can surely attract prospective clients.
- Be creative in making your portfolio. Remember that there are dozens of good competitors in this profession. Uniqueness and creativity may give you an advantage over other photographers.
- Photographers must be well-rounded and versatile. Clients may look for and prefer certain photography techniques; therefore you must make sure that you can handle their demands and meet their expectations.
- Photographs in the portfolio must highlight your skills. Skills are the main basis for employment. Photos in the portfolio must feature your strongpoints and capabilities.
- Include a lot of samples. Numerous samples may help prove that you are well versed in the craft and that you have sufficient experience in fashion photography.
5 Get certified and join professional organizations.
Join the Professional Photographers of America (PPA) to have support groups and have access to new updates and trends in the line of photography.
You can also get certified to increase your chances of being employed. This certification assures employers that the holder of the certificate has necessary technical skills and artistic competency as evaluated by professional photographers.
- A comprehensive written examination must be passed.
- A work sample must be evaluated by a panel of judges.
- Re-certifications are necessary. Options are offered on how re-certification can be accomplished.
6 Communicate with professional contacts in the fashion industry.
They can help you get a job in the industry. Research well about potential employers and take note of the nature of work they require from photographers.
- There are various opportunities for fashion photographers. Some may start as freelancers and some may even render their services for free.
- Be flexible and search for stable job positions in the business. It may take a while so be patient and look for the best suited job for you.
- If you are called upon by a potential employer, prepare your portfolio. If you are to send some samples remember to send imprints and not the originals and label your work properly.
- In some cases, agents can also be hired to make deals with companies in exchange for photographers’ service. You can hire agents to increase your chances to get big projects or get a stable and long term job.
Leave a Reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are markedAdd Comment