When fashion photography is mentioned, the first thought that comes to mind is picture taking. Is fashion photography that simple? Continue reading to have a clear and conclusive picture of what fashion photographers do for a living.
- Basic tasks required in fashion photography:
- Taking pictures
- Editing and developing photos
- Choosing appropriate location
- Directing models
- Selecting proper camera lenses and lighting
Constant practice and excellent mastery of these skills can help a fashion photographer improve the quality of his or her work .Skills and techniques must be further enhanced to deliver good results. Learning should never cease. Do your best to satisfy clients and remember to keep copies of your work in your portfolio. Employers usually look at samples from portfolios to determine the capabilities of a fashion photographer.
- The fashion industry is broad. Fashion photographers have to be well rounded and flexible. Possible work may include various products such as: cosmetics, hair products, swimwear, lingerie, footwear, clothes, and other accessories.
- Most fashion photographers are employed by advertising industries. Promotion of the product is the main purpose of conducting photo shoots. Merchandises may vary from clothes to beauty products.
- Some fashion photographers are self-employed or freelancers. They must use their accounting skills such as tracking of expenses and billing clients according to the type of work rendered.
- Work environment may also vary. Some projects are done in a studio and others may require outdoor photo shoots. Fashion photographers must display resourcefulness and creativity to handle challenging projects.
- Depending on the employer or type of work, fashion photographers may have irregular work hours or sometimes endure overtime hours to meet deadlines.
- Organization of work is vital to ensure that projects are done on time.
- Because of the tight competition, self-promotion is necessary to be well-known in fashion photography. Networking and creating good relationship with models, directors, and colleagues can help build a good reputation necessary to get a job in the fashion industry. Joining the Professional Photographers of America (PPA) is a good way to communicate with other photographers. Multiple benefits such as educational advancement opportunities and certifications are available.
Leave a Reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are markedAdd Comment