The most important thing that an interior decorator must have is a good eye for beautiful designs plus a good sense of style. Without both, decorating may give you a really hard time. Most of the decorator’s work involves coming up with ideas on how to arrange things in the house, or which plants to put indoors, or which light to use for the porch. Working with wallpapers, paintings, and window fabrics is still part of an interior decorator’s job. Basically, working in the design industry is fun and lucrative.
What are the requirements to become an interior decorator?
- For a start, you would need to have a high school diploma or a GED. This is the minimum qualification in applying for an interior decorator training program. The program you choose must be accredited or approved by the Certified Interior Decorators International (CID).
- Most training programs can be done from home and can be completed according to your own pace. The entire course consists of 8 modules including topics like furniture placement and style, color schemes, wall paint and coverings, lighting and fabric options, plants, pictures and other accessories. The program also includes discussion on how to compute for your personal consultation fee and the job description of a decorator.
- After completion of the training, you would need to take the certification exam through CID. The test fee is $95.
Experience and Training
- You would need to have exposure to decorating and designing. Work for an architecture firm, or a furnishing store. Look for a certified interior decorator who could mentor and help you learn and improve your skills.
- Enroll in decorating courses to be more familiar with international designs and concepts.
The work of an interior decorator is the most visible part of the house, next to the structure itself. The paint colors, curtains, carpets, indoor and outdoor plants and the displayed artworks were carefully thought of and studied by an interior decorator. Their work sounds like a lot fun and the good part is that they are not required to finish a 4-year degree. All you need is creativity and skills plus an accredited training program.
- How To Become An Interior Decorator
- What Are The Requirements To Be A Cake Decorator?
- How Long Does It Take To Be A Cake Decorator?
- How Much Does A Cake Decorator Make?
- What Does A Cake Decorator Do?
Leave a Reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are markedAdd Comment