Border patrol agents are entrusted with a lot of lives as they serve the country and act as its first line of defense from smugglers and terrorists. These persons see to it that U.S. residents are comfortably safe under the blanket of protection that they provide. Are you intrigued? A list of requirements is available below if you are interested to join this noble profession.
What are the requirements to be a border patrol agent?
1 Meet the qualifications set by the U.S. Customs and Border Patrol agency (CBP).
- Age limits are applied. Applicants must not exceed 40 years of age to be considered as eligible contenders for vacant positions.
- Applicants must be U.S. citizens and residents.
- He or she must be able to speak Spanish or at least exhibit potentials to learn the language.
- An applicant should be a holder of a valid driver’s license.
- They must be free from charges of any felony or misdemeanor.
- Health and physical fitness is checked once an applicant is selected to be a border patrol agent. They must be in a good and healthy condition.
2 Educational attainment is one requirement to be qualified for GL-5 and GL-7 positions.
- Any four year degree in is acknowledged.
- Earn high GPA scores and be in the national scholastic honor society.
- A master’s degree in Criminal Justice or in any law-related courses can also you help in applying for GL-7 vacancies.
3 Gain experience in any field.
Work experience is assessed and will be used as basis to categorize applicants into proper agent positions.
- For GL-5 level, you must have experience in any field that includes decision making and maintaining your composure in a stressful situation.
- A year of experience in law enforcement is required for those applying for GL-7 positions.
4 An aspirant border patrol agent must also pass the U.S. CBP Border Patrol Examination.
This exam is composed of three parts: logical reasoning, Spanish language assessment, and work experience reviews.
5 Pre-employment tests are conducted prior to appointment of successful examinees.
- Two physical fitness tests are done to make sure that applicants are able to withstand the physically-challenging nature of the job.
- Agents can also be subjected to background investigations.
- Aspiring agents also need to undergo a drug test.
- A panel interview is prepared to evaluate communication skills, critical thinking capabilities and other traits needed to be a good border patrol agent.
- What Does A Border Patrol Agent Do?
- How Long Does It Take To Be A Border Patrol Agent?
- How To Become A Border Patrol Agent
Leave a Reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are markedAdd Comment