Animals of all species play an important role in maintaining the ecological balance of our environment. As years pass by lots and lots of animal species disappear and some are threatened to be wiped-out. Zoologists are experts that study animals from their structure and behavior down to how their existence affects the ecosystem.
What does a zoologist do?
A career as a zoologist can be exciting and fun, and it will always be a consideration for those that love animals. What are the things that zoologists do aside from the superficial fact that they study animals? Read on to learn more.
- Zoologists study not only the animal structure, but also in how they behave, live, grow and even their injuries and diseases. Aside from that, zoologists:
- Perform research that will help them understand several things such as how animals interact with one another, how the changes in their habitat affects their lives or existence, how human activities affect them and what their vital role is in maintaining the balance of the ecosystem.
- Zoologists either work with animals that have been captive or those that are in the wild.
- They also spend time in natural habitats. This helps them understand the patterns of their behavior.
- Most zoologists also chose to specialize in a specific branch of zoology. What they do will depend on what specific area they specialize.
- For example, animal taxonomists, animal physiologists and embryologists study a specific area in an animal’s life that covers many species.
- While zoologists that specialize on studying a specific group of animals like ichthyologists that study the fish family or a herpetologist that studies the reptiles, definitely study everything about that specific group.
- A large percent of zoologist are employed by a federal or state government agency. Zoologists employed by the government are involved in wildlife management, preservation and agriculture.
- Some of the zoologists work as zoo keepers where they are responsible of the primary care for the animals.
- Other zoologists are employed by colleges or universities. They teach zoology or biology and conduct researches.
Although the work of a zoologist varies widely, what they have in common is that most of their time spent working consists of research and laboratory work.
- What Are The Requirements To Be A Zoologist?
- How To Become A Zoologist
- What Does A Zookeeper Do?
- What Does A Veterinary Technician Do?
- How To Become A Zookeeper
Leave a Reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are markedAdd Comment