The beauty and cosmetology industry has been growing rapidly for the past few years. Because of this, the population of barbers, hairstylists and nail technicians has increased as well. The job outlook for these professionals is quite positive. They have options to work independently, for salons or work random schedules.
How much does a barber make?
The downside to working in this industry is that you will spend a lot of time on your feet – literally. Especially during the holidays, weekends or in the evenings, where clients visit shops and salons the most. Working with and being exposed to hair and nail chemicals is stressful; Plus, the possibility of developing allergies in the workplace. Considering the stress and random work schedule they follow, what can you expect to earn as a barber?
- Part-time barbers earn an average of $12 an hour. The lowest recorded salary for barbers is $9/ hour and the highest at $20/ hour.
- Full-time barbers in salons and barbershops earn anywhere from $13.92 to $22.65 an hour. Annual income for barbers in this category earn between $28,950-$47,100.
- If you work in metropolitan areas or in high paying states like Illinois, Minnesota, North Carolina, Nebraska and Texas, expect to earn an average of $35,000 a year.
According to BLS, 44% of professionals in the beauty and cosmetology industry are self-employed or managing their own businesses. Working on your own schedule with regular clients is much more lucrative than working for a barbershop or salon.
- What Does A Barber Do?
- What Are The Requirements To Be A Barber?
- How To Become A Barber
- How Much Does A Hair Stylist Make?
- How Much Does A Cosmetologist Make?
Leave a Reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are markedAdd Comment