Movie directing is a very complex job. You are not just responsible for your own action but also are responsible of managing every aspect of the film production. Learn what a movie director does before you further consider this career.
What does a movie director do?
Generally speaking, movie directors are experts that are in charge of the creative and artistic aspects of a film production. They manage every area from pre-production down to the post-productions.
- Casting. Depending on the production, some directors play a role upon the selection of the cast for the film. Though large productions give out this duty to an executive or production staff, directors will be consulted as they will be working with the cast throughout the production.
- Selecting locations and scheduling. Part of the pre-production consists of finding shot locations. A movie director analyzes the script and the storyline and decides and finalizes what particular area the shot will be taken best. Scheduling is a vital role in a production. Large productions may assign scheduling to a line producer but a director still plays a vital part in coordinating with the producers taking into considerations the availability of casts, location and other elements with the production schedule.
- Scripting and story development. Directors may be tasked to make changes into the scripts according to what they think will be best for the film. They modify and review the screen play in the best way the story can be presented.
- Production design. Movie directors also are responsible of creating the look of a film. Though most productions assigned this task to art directors, movie directors may still exert suggestions to make the film design effective. Directors also approve special effects and finalize costume designs used for the production.
- Coaching. During the entire production, directors coach actors on what to do in a particular scene.
- Editing. After shooting the entire production, directors also review the film, assist in editing and sound selections.
Movie directors are also responsible of ensuring the quality of the film and completing the production within the given budget and resources. Because of the varied duties movie directors do, becoming one needs a lot of determination, passion and patience.
- How Much Does A Movie Director Make?
- How To Become A Movie Director
- What Does A Movie Producer Do?
- What Are The Requirements To Become A Movie Producer?
- How Long Does It Take To Become A Movie Producer?
Leave a Reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are markedAdd Comment