What are the duties of a judge? This is a common question of people who are not involved in the judicial career and system, as well as those that aspire to be a judge someday. Usually, the roles and power of a judge would depend on the area of responsibility or jurisdiction. However, in any situation they are encouraged to be independent, confident and unbiased. Below is a list on some important responsibilities they carry:
- Impose necessary measures and legal actions against those who show misconduct inside the courtrooms.
- During court hearings and trials, they define the law, evaluate the presented evidence and maintain peace and order in the courtroom.
- Inspect the credibility of the evidences and testimonies of witnesses.
- Pass the sentence for the defendant through imposing penalties such as fine or prison term.
- Make the decision of whether or not the claim is valid.
- Make assessments and estimates the extent of damages made.
- Judges are expected to perform their duties in an impartial and unbiased manner. They must not hold favoritism and prejudice in any court hearings and trials.
- He or she must gain the confidence and trust of both parties involved in the lawsuit.
- Must attend court sessions on time and make absences only if there are valid reasons. Hence, a notice and report must be done ahead of time if this happens.
- Prioritize their job above all.
- Discouraged to accept any forms of gifts from both parties involved in the lawsuit.
- Preserve the reputation of their position by exhibiting the proper behavior, being respectful, patient and neat with their appearance.
- Maintain the privacy and confidentiality of any information involved in the lawsuit. Even after a decision or ruling has been made and issued.
- May be involved in any activities or gatherings as long as this does not cause conflict and suspicion to their position.
- Refrain from making comments or personal opinions about the cases they handle. However, an exemption can be done if this is for purposes of research and judicial trainings.
- Abuse and exploitation of their judicial position is not tolerated for their personal interest and benefit.
- Never engage in relationships with another lawyer to avoid any suspicion and accusations of impartiality.
Those are the duties and responsibilities of being a judge. As what you have read, a lot is expected of you if you decide to follow this career path. This could sometimes compromise your own freedom and satisfaction. You must be willing to strive harder to attain high standards in both your career and personal life. Above all, you should be open-minded and be a good listener. This profession is entitled with moral and ethical discipline. Therefore, you may consider finding another field of practice if you are uncertain with the above mentioned characteristics.
Leave a Reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are markedAdd Comment